DHE is engaged in research to elicit preferences of patients and physicians regarding medical outcomes, health and life. It does experimental research in the economic laboratory and uses internet platforms to collect data. Large public and private data sets are used to analyse competition in health care and in health insurance markets.
Cooperation and networking:
CHE is partner of in the SSPH+ program which organizes doctoral courses in health economics and policy. DHE closely collaborates with the health economics research center CINCH – competent in competition and health – at the University of Duisburg Essen. Collaboration with the Institute for Technology Assessment at the Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School has started this year. Felder is the health economics expert in the Swiss Medical Board. As executive director Felder is very active in the German Health Economics Association as well as in the European Health Economic Association whose secretariat belongs to CHE.
Publications (full publication record: https://wwz.unibas.ch/en/research/publications/)
- Meyer, St. (2015), Payment schemes and cost efficiency: evidence from Swiss public hospitals, Int J Health Econ Manag 15 73–97
- Felder, S. and Th. Mayrhofer (2014), Risk Preferences: Consequences for Test and Treatment Thresholds and Optimal Cutoffs (with Thomas Mayrhofer), Medical Decision Making 34, 33-41.
- Krieger, M. and S. Felder (2013), Can Decision Biases Improve Insurance Outcomes? An Experiment on Status Quo Bias in Health Insurance Choice Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 10(6), 2560-2577
- Ahlert, M, S. Felder and B. Vogt (2012), Which patients do I treat? An experimental study with economists and physicians, Health Economic Review, 2(1), http://www.healtheconomicsreview.com/content/2/1/1.
- Felder, S. and H. Tauchmann (2013), Federal State Differentials in the Efficiency of Health Production in Germany: an Artefact of Spatial Dependence? European Journal of Health Economics 14, 21-39.
- Breyer, F., S. Felder and J. Costa I Font (2011), Ageing, Health, and Health Care (with), Oxford Review of Economic Policy 26, 674–690.
- Felder, S. and Th. Mayrhofer (2011), Medical Decision Making: A Health Economic Primer, Springer 2011.